Year 2 Phonics
There are 5 sessions.
Monday: Phoneme Spotter / Best Bet.
1. Read the phoneme spotter sheet - The Great Snail Race.
2. Underline or circle all the different words that contain the 'ai' phoneme.
3. Write down all the alternative ways that the 'ai' phoneme can be spelt.
4. Look at the best bet poster. Did you find all the different graphemes?
Tuesday / Wednesday: Sorting Grid / Sorting Words.
(I have allocated 2 days for this activity as it is a longer activity - you can complete it in 2 parts or complete it in one go and have a rest day.)
This activity can be completed in 2 different ways depending on the level of challenge you would like.
1. Read all the words on the sorting words sheet. Look at the different spellings of the words.
2. Cut the words out and stick them in the correct column according to the way the phoneme is spelt.
(If you are unable to print the sheets out create the columns on a piece of paper and copy the words in the correct column.)
Option 2 - higher level of challenge
1. Read all the words on the sorting words sheet. Look at them carefully, look at the different spellings of the words, look at the different ways the phoneme is spelt in the words.
2. Ask someone to read the words for you. Write the words in the columns you think they belong in.
Then compare your spelling of the word to the sheet. Did you spell the word correctly? Did you put the word in the correct column? (You can either write one word at a time and compare it or write all the words and then compare them all.)
(If you are unable to print the sheets out create the columns on a piece of paper and write the words in the correct column when the word is said.)
Thursday: Sentences - reading and writing
Friday: Sentences - reading and writing
For these sessions I have attached sentences which include the phoneme for this week.
1. Read the sentences yourself.
2. Ask someone to read the sentences for you and then write down what they say.
Compare your sentences. Have you spelt all the words correctly? Did you use the correct grapheme?
If you wish you can then practise writing any words you spelt incorrectly.